Retail Produce Manager Awards Program
The United Fresh Retail Produce Manager Awards Program pays special recognition to those on the front line in supermarkets working every day to increase sales and consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables. United Fresh is proud to extend the produce industry's thanks to outstanding supermarket produce managers around the globe!
Special thanks to our program sponsor:
The Retail Produce Manager Awards Program recognizes 25 winners each year for their excellence in the following areas:
- Commitment to customer satisfaction and promoting fresh produce
- Innovative merchandising, special displays and sampling programs, such as participation in Fruits and Veggies: More Matters and MyPlate campaigns, commodity promotions, and more
- Produce-related community service or outreach, such as adopt-a-school programs, school tours, community service projects, and more
- Recognition among peers within their company
In 2013, the 25 winners AND their corporate produce directors will receive FREE:
- Roundtrip airfare to and from San Diego for the United Fresh 2013 convention, May 14-16, 2013
- All Access Registration to the convention
- Two nights lodging
- Recognition at the United Fresh Produce Celebration Dinner
- Five Grand Prize Winners will be announced in San Diego - each receiving $1,000!
Click here to download the complete 2013 nomination brochure.
“This program has provided an exceptional opportunity to honor our superstar produce managers who are making a difference for our company. At Price Chopper, we’ve made the nomination process a company-wide initiative, encouraging everyone from store managers to senior executives to nominate their favorite produce manager.”
- Keith Frosceno, GVP, Perishables, Price Chopper/Golub Corporation
“At Spartan, we’ve been honored to have a number of our produce managers recognized through this program. I have seen first-hand the positive impact it has had for our managers and our company. The energy, pride and excitement that these winning managers bring back to their stores is immeasurable.”
- Jerry Goldsmith, Director of Produce and Floral, Spartan Stores, Inc
While only a few of the many thousands of produce managers across the country can be recognized through this program, United Fresh salutes every produce manager working on the front lines of our industry to promote the sale of fresh fruits and vegetables and the better health of their customers. Founded in 2005, this program honors all of their efforts and serves to promote role models of excellence across our industry.
Interested in learning more? Click here to watch United FreshTV see videos of past winners, award ceremonies, and expert panel discussions.
Benefits of Participation
The United Fresh Retail Produce Manager Awards Program is an opportunity for the industry and supermarket management to honor managers who are making a difference. Here are just a few reasons to nominate a manager for this award:
- Companies can salute exceptional managers who are the industry’s front line to the consumer
- Outstanding associates are recognized at no cost!
- Raise the bar within your own company, with employees vying for this prestigious recognition
- Produce companies can recognize key customers
- Winners further their produce knowledge by participating in educational workshops, engaging with industry leaders, and learning about the newest products at the United Fresh convention
- Winning supermarkets are recognized as produce leaders, with Produce Directors also receiving complimentary registration and travel to United Fresh 2013 to share in the honor
Click here for a featured story on past winners: "Taking the Produce Department from Good to Great"
For questions about the Retail Produce Manager Awards Program, please contact
, education manager, at 202-303-3400 ext. 405.
Past Award Winners
Congratulations to the 2013 Retail Produce Manager Award Winners:
- Ryan Acosta, Raley's Family of Fine Stores, Sacramento, CA
- Louis Brock, Quality Food Centers, Seattle, WA
- Manson Camp, Weis Markets, Williamsport, PA
- Kevin Cazeaux, Rouses Markets, New Orleans, LA
- Lavern Clark, Brookshire Grocery Company, Alexandria, LA
- Darren Estermann, Food Maxx/Save Mart Supermarkets, Visalia, CA
- David Fitts, Harris Teeter Supermarkets, Charlotte, NC
- Jim Fleming, Price Chopper/Golub Corporation, Newburgh, NY
- Ken Gaylord, Safeway Stores, Portland, OR
- Aaron Geohring, Ray's Food Place, Grants Pass, OR
- Donna Goodman, Daniel's Sentry Store, Whitewater, WI
- James Gordy, Safeway Stores, Auburn, CA
- Doug Groendyke, King's Supermarkets, Gillette, NJ
- Rick Hogan, Hugo's Family Marketplace, Grand Forks, ND
- Deborah Horton, Ft. Worth NAS Commissary, Fort Worth, TX
- Pat Kapelka, The Kroger Company, Tiffin, OH
- James May, Food City/K-VA-T Food Stores, South Williamson, KY
- Maureen McCarthy, Ft. Bragg North Commissary, Ft. Bragg, NC
- Nathan Mineart, Hy-Vee, Inc., East Marion, IA
- Nicholas Olivieri, Pathmark, Bethpage, NY
- Bill Power, Dominion, St John's, NFL, Canada
- Brett Reed, Hy-Vee, Inc., Windsor Heights, IA
- Frankie Thacker, Food City/K-VA-T Food Stores, Rogersville, TN
- Jeffrey Vocatura, Big Y Foods, Stratford, CT
- Corey Watkins, Raley's Family of Fine Stores, Elk Grove, CA
Find out more about the past Retail Produce Manager Award Winners:
What Participants Are Saying
“This was more than an award. This was an experience, an opportunity, and an incredible way to gain in-depth knowledge about an industry that we all love and work in everyday.”
Corey Conrad, Colemans Food Centres, Corner Brook, NFL, Canada, 2012 Winner
“Thank you for providing this memorable experience. The program and activities were exceptional and being on stage and walking around the convention made us all feel sospecial. I feel honored to be one of the winners.”
Leslie Alex, Hannaford Brothers, Dover, NH, 2012 Winner
“This program allowed me to see the other side of the produce industry and learn so much beyond the store. Receiving this award and attending the convention makes me want to work that much harder to achieve my career goals! I still can't believe I received this honor!”
Craig Docherty, Vons, Las Vegas, NV, 2011 Winner
“Thank you for this experience. It was a privilege and an honor to represent the thousands of produce managers out there who battle everyday to get the job done. This is an experience that will surely be remembered!”
Michael Crutchfield, Save Mart, Angels Camp, CA, 2011 Winner
"THANK YOU for this wonderful experience. Attending the convention and engaging with the other produce managers was an exceptional learning experience. I'm so proud to be honored for doing a job that I love."
Lisa Paulis, Vons, La Jolla, California, 2010 Award Winner
"It was a privilege and a pleasure to be selected a 2010 Produce Manager Award Winner. This is definitely a lifetime achievement award for me"
John Thut, Bel Air Markets; Raley's Family of Fine Stores, Sacramento, Calif., 2010 Award Winner
"The Retail Produce Manager Award is such a prestigious honor that words couldn’t come close to describing how I felt when I was chosen. What really stood out for me throughout the event was the appreciation shown by the industry towards the men and women on retail’s front line. I am excited for the 2010 award recipients, as it will be a life changing moment for them just as it was for me."
Ron Inatomi, Gelson’s Market, Newport Beach, CA, 2009 Award Winner
“After walking the show floor, I came away with a number of new display ideas and techniques that I applied directly to our produce department. Winning this award has continued to push me to improve and innovate within my store, and has given me a greater understanding of our important role in the broader produce industry.”
Humberto Gonzalez, Ralph’s, Los Angeles, CA, 2009 Award Winner